Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A walk in the park

Today I decided to do something I had planned on doing 9 months ago when I moved into my current apartment near Columbia University on the Upper West Side --  walk home from work.

I work near Grand Central, so it's actually quite the hike.  Not very hilly, but pretty long - a little over 4.5 miles.  It took me about an hour and a half without stopping.  It was nice until it got to be dark out.  So I recommend to any who try this..leave work a little early so that when it's officially dark out, you still don't have 20 blocks to go.

It's definitely helpful though that the Central Park lampposts have the street numbers on them!

But one thing that bothered me.. where are all the water fountains?  If I had been running and was without a water bottle like so many people I saw, how do they stay hydrated?  I was thirsty by the end, and I was only walking!

After I got home I had worked up a bit of an appetite which was great since I hadn't been hungry at all when I left work.  I stopped at the grocery store on my way home and grabbed a spinach bunch and some of my favorite noodles: tofu shirataki!

I love this stuff!  It doesn't have a ton of nutritional value, but it's SUPER low in calories and carbs.  I stirfried it up with:

* torn spinach
* shrimp (frozen from the bag - gotta love trader joes!)
* smart balance
* 1 garlic clove
* SoyVay hoisin sauce

 
It was a little light on the sauce in the end, but definetely low in calories.
I wanted to finish off the meal with something sweet, so I sliced up a nectarine, drizzled it with a little bit of honey, and put it in a 375 degree oven for 10 minutes.
 
When it came out I drizzled it with some sugar free chocolate sauce.
  
I felt so good about the way the plate looked so I tried taking close up shots as well.. Didn't work. Oh well :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment