Saturday, August 29, 2009

Viva Mexico!

Yesterday was my kind of day.  Despite the dreary rain, I made it to the gym and had a dinner party with friends!

Thanks to my mid-morning snacks yesterday, when I got home from work at 2:30pm, I wasn't hungry.  So off to the gym I went!  And I got in a pretty decent workout, at least for me.

Treadmill: walk 4 minutes, run 9 minutes, walk 3 minutes, run 7 minutes, walk 7 minutes at an incline. I don't usually run very often at the gym - I'm an elliptical girl - so this for me was plenty of cardio.
I did some weight-training too though; a good 25 minutes of it.  Lots of different crunches, inner- and outer-thighs, assisted pull-ups and dips, hamstrings, quads, etc.  I usually do all of my weight training on machines (ie not free weights) and yesterday was no exception.

I'm a bit sore from this workout today, but not so bad to prevent me from going to the gym again, so we will see what the day holds!

Our dinner party last night was really fun too.  A few girlfriends and I decided to do Mexican night (which isn't exactly my favorite) but it turned out really well!  My friend J made guacamole and salsa for the appetizers.  Then it was onto the main course where my friend V made (from scratch!) beef taquitos and a bean and cheese casserole. 

 

These dishes were super yummy and since nothing was fried.. well they could have been healthier, but they weren't awful.

We rounded off the meal with the dessert I made (tortillas stuffed with banana bread filling and chocolate chips) which was only Mexican because I made it in the shape of a burrito :).  In my attempts for healthy.. I used whole wheat tortillas and served it with light ice cream.

We had the whole meal with Mojitos, which are one of my all-time favorite cocktails and are really easy to make!  See below for a recipe similar to what we did, although I eyeballed all the amounts and it came out great!

Vodka Mojito
Ingredients:
2 oz Smirnoff 21 Vodka
3 Fresh Mint Sprigs
2 tbsp Sugar
3 tbsp Fresh Lime Juice
Soda water

How to prepare it: Muddle the mint, sugar and lime juice in a collins glass. Fill it with ice, add vodka and top it with soda. Shake or mix the drink; garnish it with a lime wedge.

Do you have good healthy Mexican recipes you want to share?  Leave a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment