Saturday, August 29, 2009

Exotic fruit

Whenever I'm at the grocery store, I'm always drawn to the food that I've never seen (or eaten) before.  The ugli fruit, the cactus pears, the lychees.  Today was one of those days.  I bought 5 lychees and decided to eat them with my usual breakfast.  Today's version of that was fat free yogurt, Kashi Go-Lean Crunch, and All Bran Buds.  It had all the crunch I craved, although since I was out of fruit to top it with (I usually go with strawberries and blueberries) it was missing that extra sweetness and color.  Still yummy though!
 
 

The lychees were a different experience for me.  I had never eaten them before so I looked up online just to make sure.

1. Peel the skin off with your nail (or a knife) but be careful not to pierce the fruit.

2. Eat the fruit off the pit, but not the pit since it is slightly poisonous.


Seemed simple enough.  The fruit tasted interesting.  I've had lychee infused desserts before, but never something that was solely lychee.  Maybe I didn't pick these at the prime of freshness, but they tasted somewhat sour to me.  The texture was also interesting; similar to a grape but more stringy (not in a bad way).

I don't know if I'll ever buy them again, but I'm glad I tried them!

No comments:

Post a Comment